Welcome to the Latvian Institute of Aquatic Ecology!
Latvian Institute of Aquatic Ecology (LIAE) is a research institute dedicated to basic and applied research of ecology and environmental problems in the Baltic Sea. Most of our work focuses on the Gulf of Riga and the Latvian part of the Baltic Proper, where we are also responsible for marine environmental monitoring.
Our research themes embrace:
- Marine environmental monitoring,
- Long-term changes in the Baltic Sea,
- Seasonal cycles in brackish plankton and benthic communities,
- Vertical fluxes,
- Benthic-pelagic coupling,
- Coastal biodiversity,
- Invasive species,
- Maritime spatial planning using ecosystem approach,
- Algal toxins,
- Ecotoxicological processes and tests.