The Department of Experimental Hydrobiology devotes most of its efforts to clarify health status of aquatic environment and to find the controlling factors for the status. The main directors of Department's work are:
- Assessment of the ecological risk in aquatic ecosystems;
- Biotesting - estimation of toxicity impact of toxic substances, polluted waters, sediments and sewage with biotests (various organisms);
- Ecotoxicological experiments and tests;
- Reasons of mass development of hazardous algae in freshwater and marine environments;
- Bioaccumulation of algal toxins and their toxical influence;
- Mutual interactions of bacterial and algal communities;
- Development of new methods for monitoring of pollutants.